Travel is one of the great pleasures of life. Seeing new cultures and finding inspiration in new sights, sounds and flavors brings color to our lives.
But ironically, because international air travel is so easy now, what we often forget is that it takes a toll on the body, on skin health and on our sense of well-being. Being enclosed in an airless cabin is one of the most challenging environments for the skin; dry air and heating or cold air-conditioning experienced for hours on end is extremely dehydrating and aging. Not only that but because you are breathing in recycled air, your immune system is vulnerable. Add to that jetlag, which disrupts the circadian rhythm, and we can see that the body has a lot to cope with in order find balance once your flight touches down.
How to travel mindfully so that you feel and look fresh on arrival? We asked Noella Gabriel, Co-Founder of ELEMIS, for her top tips and products to take with you.
You must prepare for travel, and by this I mean, no alcohol the night before, dress comfortably and eat lightly. That may sound very boring, but I have learned over the years (having done it the wrong way myself so many times), that it does pay off to prepare!”
Prep the skin for an airless cabin
“The skin gets very little oxygen during flight time as it is in an encapsulated environment without fresh air, only recirculated air. This immediately results in dehydration, sensitivity and tired, dull skin. It’s important to travel with a well cleansed skin – apply two layers of moisturizer before boarding or layer an oil with your moisturizer, and avoid make-up. Always carry a travel size moisturizer to re-apply during your flight.”
Get comfortable and treat the skin
“Once on the flight, a great trick is to use Pro-Collagen Hydra-Gel Eye Masks to moisturize and brighten the skin around the eyes. You can apply Pro-Collagen Marine Mask as an overnight mask if you are on a long-haul flight. It will dry on the skin and protect and nourish it as you sleep. Simply cleanse away the next morning with Smart Cleanse Micellar Water. Your skin will feel fresh and look beautifully hydrated on landing.”
Travel Tips for Skin Health and Wellness
- Always travel with well cleansed and super moisturized skin, without make-up if possible.
- Always take Pro-Collagen Hydra-Gel Eye Masks and a mask such as Pro-Collagen Marine Mask which is quick-absorbing and moisture-boosting.
- On a long haul flight, re-apply your skincare products frequently to keep skin quenched (ELEMIS has a wide range of travel size products).
- It goes without saying that you should avoid coffee, alcohol and sugar-loaded carbonated drinks. Try to limit it to one glass if at all and instead drink water throughout the flight.
- Bring your own healthy snacks with you such as fruit salads, carrot and cucumber sticks (also full of much needed water), miso soup sachets, nuts and seeds.