5 ways to boost your intake of H20 right now.
Water: Two atoms of hydrogen bonded to a single oxygen atom. It covers around 70% of the Earth’s surface and makes up about 60% of the human body. Internally, it acts as a vehicle for nutrients, a shock absorber, a means of detoxification.
We all know that we should drink the recommended eight to ten glasses a day, but with increasingly busy lives, getting our daily dose can easily get pushed down the To Do’ list. And by the time you actually feel thirsty, your body has already lost about 1% of its total water content.
Here, our favorite ways to stay hydrated all summer long.
1. Infuse: At best, tap water can be boring. At worst, it can taste oddly "off." For a fast, fresh fix, cocktail your own watery infusions inside a glass pitcher or jar by adding cucumber peel, basil and lime slices. Or try a cinnamon stick, ginger slices and pear peel. Serve over ice.
2. Ripple: Summer is the prime season for natural beach waves. But when the seaside is miles away and a breaking out the curling iron feels like too much work, whip up your own salt spray. Simply fill an empty spray bottle with hot water and two teaspoons of salt before shaking. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil if your hair needs extra hydration. Then spritz and scrunch.
3. Freeze: Skip sugary, store-bought ice pops and make your own instead. For a creamy, decadent treat, toss water-rich fruits like watermelon, grapefruit, pineapple or raspberries in a blender with coconut or almond milk, and pour the mixture into a DIY ice pop tray. Or add a dash of elderflower cordial to your usual ice cubes and let them melt into sparkling water or a summer cocktail.
4. Plunge: It may be summer, but it can take many lakes, rivers and the sea itself ages to actually warm up. Cold water immersion – otherwise known as "cryotherapy" – triggers a response in your sympathetic nervous system that leaves you feeling energized, happier and more awake. Bonus: It also reduces any muscular inflammation you may have.
5. Cleanse: We all know cleansing is an essential element of effective skincare. But when it comes to washing off our make-up and the daily grime of the day, not all water is created equal. Meet ELEMIS’ new masterpiece – our Smart Cleanse Micellar Water. It contains intelligent clusters of micelles that boast both water-loving and water-hating properties. While the water-hating part acts like a magnet for oil-based dirt, the water-loving draws out impurities that are similarly water-based. It also contains Organic English Rose water made from roses harvested exclusively for ELEMIS between June and August when they’re at their most aromatic. Ordinary water will never feel the same again.
Feeling hydrated? Here’s how to quench your skin on the outside…