Use your nose to transform your mood
Last year, the connection between our gut and brain was the hot topic of conversation amongst health and wellbeing experts. Now though, there’s a renewed focus on the link between our sense of smell and the mind.
We only have to think of the smell of coffee brewing, cakes fresh out of the oven, or newly-mown grass to realise that not only do these aromas trigger pleasure zones in the brain but they also elicit an emotional response. Often this is connected with memory and takes us back to childhood, holidays or other happy moments.
But it’s more complicated than a simple memory trigger – there’s an actual neurological response going on.
And because we’ve been pioneering the aromatherapy movement since 1990, we’re bringing everything back to modern aromatics with our new LIFE ELIXIRS range: scents designed to support your mood at a time when our lifestyles are busier than ever.
So just what is the connection between our brains and the smells we experience in everyday life – and how does a transformation actually occur? We followed a scent molecule to find out…
1. Scented vapour enters the air via your shower gel, perfume or a scented candle.
2. The scent travels up the nose and is received by special receptors. Humans have around 450 different types of receptors, whilst dogs have twice as many.
3. When a receptor and a scent molecule bind together, it sets off an electrical signal. This signal sends a message to the olfactory bulb, which is situated at the very top of the nose, between the brows. These onion-like bulbs contain four distinctive layers that form part of the overall olfactory system, which is responsible for our sense of smell and the way we respond to it.
4. By now, a chain reaction has been set in motion. The olfactory bulb sends further messages to different parts of brain, ready for more processing. It’s thought that humans may be able to recognise as many as a trillion different smells.
5. When the brain processes a smell, neurochemicals are produced, changing the way you think and feel. Which is why certain scents have been linked to everything from a sense of calm, greater energy, reduced hunger, more vivid dreams and of course – romantic attraction. So really, the more we notice the effects of different smells, the more we can tune in to our emotions, be mindful of our physical and psychological state at any given moment – and enhance our lives overall.
Ready to transform your mood? Meet LIFE ELIXIRS – a collection of Bath & Shower Elixirs, roll-on Perfume Oils and scented Candles that have been carefully blended to make your mind respond in a number of positive ways:
Be CALM via Clary Sage, Rosewood and Lavandin.
Breathe in CLARITY thanks to Bitter Orange, Ginger and Cardamom.
Find your FORTITUDE with Ylang Ylang, Cedarwood and Geranium.
EMBRACE a sense of self-confidence with Vetiver, Frankincense and Rose Pepper.
And when you’re ready for SLEEP, Patchouli, Elemi and Palmarosa will help you have the sweetest of beauty sleeps.