The day that Jess’s daughter, Anna, is reported lost in an avalanche is the day that changes everything.
Left to explain her absence to Anna’s five-year-old daughter, Rose, Jess isn’t yet ready to admit to herself that her daughter might not be coming back. But Anna’s disappearance has opened a Pandora’s Box of lies and Jess begins to discover that she never really knew her daughter at all.
And when she unearths a secret that could irrevocably change her world and her family, she has to decide whether a mother’s love is unconditional – and she can forgive Anna anything.
Fionnuala Kearney’s second novel explores the nuances and subtle layers of human relationships, peeling them away to see what’s really going on beneath.
NOW THAT YOU’VE RACED THROUGH THIS PAGE-TURNER, HERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOUR READING GROUP:
- What do you think the key themes of the novel are?
- Who was your favourite character?
- What do Anna’s blog posts add to the novel?
- How did you feel about Jess’ behaviour towards Sean once she started to unravel the truth? Was there any other option?
- Did your feelings towards Theo change throughout the course of the narrative? If so, how?
- Jess is a grandmother, but also at a point in her life where her own parents are needing care – what role do you think the various generations play?
- What do you feel about Theo’s insistence on sticking to the Hippocratic Oath? Before he had Anna’s permission to speak to Jess, do you think he would have kept Anna’s secret being bound by confidentiality in those circumstances?
- If you were in Leah’s shoes, would you be able to forgive Anna?
- Did you see the twist coming?
- Everything considered, are some secrets best left alone? Do you think Jess’ father was right to keep his silence for all those years?