What to do when your skin falls foul of summer…
You come home with that wonderful holiday glow – the rest and relaxation a holiday brings has made you look and feel both healthier and happier. But when your tan starts to fade, all too quickly it can become clear that your skin has suffered the effects of summer.
So here’s the 5 most common post-summer skin worries – and what you can do about them…
1. Sunburn: Red, sensitive and irritated: If you’ve returned home looking thoroughly over-baked, you’ll need our S.O.S Emergency Cream – a hydrating moisturiser that saves the day when your skin is sore and sensitive. For a body soothing treatment, use 3 capfuls of Skin Nourishing Milk Bath in the tub, making sure that the water is not too hot which can dehydrate the skin. It can also be used neat on the skin as an after sun lotion.
2. Roughness: Sun exposure can cause the skin to lose moisture, leading to dryness followed by the development of a rough, scaly feel. In order to rectify this, try our new Dynamic Resurfacing Serum. Containing smart, Tri-Enzyme Technology, it releases tiny, encapsulated enzymes onto the skin in order to break down proteins and dead cells and reveal smoother, healthier skin beneath.
3. Pigmentation: Sun exposure stimulates the production of melanocytes, which are responsible for producing melanin – the pigment that determines the colour and tone of our skin. Which is why we refer to those brown patches as “sun spots”. According to some experts, taking a vitamin C supplement can help produce Tyrosinase inhibitors – or enzymes that prevent excessive production of melanin. Our White Brightening Even Tone Serum also contains Kiwi, which does exactly the same for your skin from the outside.
4. Spots: At the other end of the “dry” spectrum, you may return home to find a ripple of spots emerging across your skin’s surface. And the culprit may be your sunscreen. Chemical agents inside SPF products coat the skin in order to defend it against harmful UV rays, resulting in blocked pores (see our guide, “Pores for Thought”). The temptation with breakouts it to try and “dry out” your spots, yet this can send the skin’s sebum-producing glands into overdrive in order to compensate. So instead, harmonise and hydrate spotty skin with our Hydra-Balance Day Cream, which contains Meadowsweet oil to regulate oil production.
5. Dullness: The truth is that, if you’re experiencing any of the issues above, then your skin isn’t functioning as healthily as it could be. Which also means it’s likely to look dull and lacklustre. The solution is to exfoliate, smooth and support the skin back to its best. Which is as easy as using our Dynamic Resurfacing Gel Mask. Feel it tingle as the Tri-Enzyme Technology increases cell turnover and the Acerola Cherry boosts the skin’s overall health.