That summer feeling needn't fade when you walk back through your front door...
After an amazing holiday with family, friends or your significant other, it can be easy to succumb to that sinking feeling when you return home to everyday life.
Yet don't despair, because a few simple tweaks can help you sustain that sense of being on holiday.
1. Scent your space: We’ve all experienced the power that certain scents can have on our subconscious. One whiff can take us back in time to our childhood or a memorable event in our life. Of all the many smells that make us think of summer holidays – crisp white cotton, sun tan lotion, salty air, coconut – it’s the scent of sunshine on warm skin that’s most evocative for us. When you’re back home without the weather to recreate that heavenly fragrance, pick a perfume that contains warm, sensual notes of sandalwood and jasmine with a hint of vanilla or honey sweetness to take you right back to your holiday destination.
2. Taste sunshine: When we’re removed from the familiarity of our everyday lives – with the same supermarkets and cafés surrounding us – we often make different and smarter food choices. Think octopus salad, grilled swordfish, gluten-free curries and tropical fruit puddings. All of this and more you’ll find in 2012 Masterchef winner, Shelina Permalloo’s recipe book, Sunshine on a Plate. The melting pot of culinary ideas from French, African, Indian, British and Chinese cuisine make up the food culture of her native Mauritius. £19.99 (www.amazon.co.uk)
3. Feel far away: Like smell, our sense of touch has a huge influence on our mood. So it makes sense that the fabrics we choose to surround ourselves with can help alter our state of mind. Think of fur, cashmere and velvet and your mind will find associations with winter. Touch canvas, cotton or linen, and your brain will be more inclined to think of summer. So bring in summery fabrics to your home via cushion covers, napkins or throws. Even bringing accessories such as terracotta plant pots and shells inside will lend your home the kind of outdoorsy feel many of us associate with holidays.
4. Get your glow on: Everyone feels better with a sun-kissed holiday glow. Sadly it disappears all too quickly once we return home to sun-starved shores. For those that want to retain a soft, post-holiday warmth to their skin, apply our Total Glow Bronzing Body Lotion. Not only will it keep skin hydrated to prevent your tan from peeling, but it will also help to maintain your slightly darker skin tone to give the illusion that you’ve just jetted in from sunny climes for as long as possible.
5. Cheat time: One of the joys of being on holiday is that time ceases to exist. No more morning alarm clock, no more school run, lunch break or meetings. You can do what you want, when you want – without constantly looking at your watch. So on weekends, indulge yourself with the same sense of freedom. Switch off that alarm and put all digital devices away in a cupboard, remove your watch and tune in to your inner body clock.