How to feel refreshed every morning…
Tick, tock, the clocks are going back – and it’s time to get some more zzzz’s. But what if you toss and turn, huff and puff – then wake up feeling exhausted? Scientists have long made the link between sound and good quality sleep. So make use of modern technology, tune into the sound that suits you best and get ready to snatch some serious snooze time.
1. The guided meditation: Getting a good night’s sleep can sometimes be achieved simply by changing your state of mind. Deep Sleep with expert Andrew Johnson is an App that takes you through meditation, step-by-step, to help you train your brain to drift off more easily. Ideal for serious insomniacs. £2.29, iTunes.
2. The jazz helping hand: Studies show that jazz music with around 60-80 beats per minute can help lower both the heart and respiratory rate to physically calm the body and still a racing mind. The Deep Sleep Jazz Project features 20 tracks to help you push up those zzzz’s. £7.99, Microsoft.com.
3. The tropical tune-out: Sometimes a bit of mental escapism is really all we need to forget the day’s trials and blot out that endless ‘to do’ list. So let your mind be taken to far off lands with the Tropical Storm for Deep Sleep soundtrack. £7.99, iTunes.
4. The bedtime story: Sleep With Me Podcast is a clever old fish. By tapping into your natural boredom, it delivers bedtime stories for grown-ups that just about capture your attention – but are dull enough to induce rapid drift-off. Free, iTunes.
5. The disturbance destroyer: You live in a busy urban area, your neighbours seem to be nocturnal. And just as you start to fall asleep every night, a smash, a toot or a talkative pair disturb your peace and quiet. The solution is myNoise – an App that generates white noise to help you block out those external sounds and quiet the churning voices in your head. Free, iTunes.
Happy snoozing. Just don’t forget to apply these to maximize your beauty sleep.