By Lauren Probert, Head Florist, Appleyard London
Whether you’ve just treated yourself to a gorgeous new orchid or been lucky enough to receive one through the post as a gift, you’ll certainly want to keep it looking its best. I’ve put together some of my favourite and most effective tips which, if followed correctly, will help you keep your orchid in optimum condition for as long as possible.
1) Water with ice cubes Potted orchids have a reputation for being difficult to care for but the number one reason they becoming unresponsive is overwatering. This tends to rot the roots, especially if they’re sitting in water. To avoid this, add two ice cubes per week to the pot for the perfect measurement. Don’t worry, the cold water won’t affect the orchid’s development.
2) Keep in your bathroom Have you got a space in or near your bathroom window that could benefit from a splash of colour? This could be the ideal home for your potted orchid: the light and moisture keeps them in tip-top condition for a long and healthy life. It’s also an ideal spot to put them in when they finish flowering to coax them into producing a new flower stalk.
3) Plant in glass containers If you’re not afraid of trying something a little different, try planting your orchid in a glass container using specialist orchid repotting mix. The roots of an orchid love sunlight (and should be bright green if your plant is in good health), so as well as giving your plant a contemporary look, you’ll extend its life too.
4) Keep it warm Orchids don’t like drafty or cold places, so make sure that the room you place your orchid in is generally kept fairly warm. As a rule, orchids should be kept in a space where the temperature is above 16.5 degrees Celsius so that they thrive.
5) Provide it with support When flowering, although beautiful to look at, orchids can become top heavy. To stop them toppling over causing damage to the stems, always make sure that they are securely supported by canes and clips.
I hope that you find my tips helpful in extending the life of your orchids. As head florist at Appleyard London, I am always looking for new ways to make sure that our boutique bouquets and plants last as long as possible. From only purchasing directly from high-quality growers, to ensuring our bouquets are lovingly hand-tied and carefully delivered, we do everything we can to guarantee that your flowers bring you joy for as long as possible.
Visit us at appleyardflowers.com to explore our latest range of luxury flowers, plants, and gifts.