Steal the tips and tricks that actresses would rather keep secret…
But for all of us who struggle with creating a smokey eye, glowing skin and tidy hair on a daily basis, the concept of looking irresistible with a bank of photographers snapping away, is enough to make us baulk. Which is why we compiled the 6 things actresses do behind the scenes to get themselves looking and feeling beautiful when all eyes are about to be on them. So read, take note – then recreate back home when a big event calls and you need to look nothing less than your best.
1. They think ahead: For some inexplicable reason, hair always looks best a week after we’ve had it cut and coloured in the salon. There just seems to be a period of ‘downtime’ needed to allow a new style or colour to ‘grow into itself’ and look natural. Which is why actresses see their stylist a week before an event – not on the day of the event.
2. They contour – from the inside out: Forget the rumour that all actresses rely on control pants to look sleek and slim. In fact, many cut out sugar and salt in the days running up to an event to combat bloating, lose a pound or two, and generally streamline their curves on the outside.
3. They pre-prep: Glowing skin doesn’t begin hours before the red carpet gets laid down. Preparations may start a whole month before. So make like an actress and book in for a facial or two, (our BIOTEC Radiance Renew Facial restores plumpness, elasticity and radiance) – or apply the Dynamic Resurfacing Gel Mask twice a week to remove dead skin cells and reveal healthier, more glowing skin.
4. They keep it simple: The red carpet was once the home of elaborate up ‘dos and hairstyles. Yet recently the trend has been for more relaxed, effortless styles – like your hair on a regular day – with a little more oomph and polish. Simply shifting your usual parting from the centre to the side – or vice versa – and adding tousle to the ends with a tong will feel novel and look naturally beautiful.
5. They trick the camera: By using liquid formulations with light reflective technology to bounce the light and lend skin a halo-like glow. Then skip the tricky smokey eye and follow leading ladies’lead with a bold red or pink lip. You’ll lend your face focus and definition without needing to cake on so much make up.
6. They let the bath do the hard work: As the beauty grapevine has it, a favourite trick of Hollywood actresses is to complete their make up, then sit back and relax in the bath. Not only does it help quell their nerves when an acceptance speech looms – but the steam softens make up and lends skin a dewy glow. Which – true or not – seems like an excellent excuse to squeeze in an extra, heavenly bath…