How to harness the magic of seaweed…
When it comes to power ingredients, the secret plants of the deep sea would be on our list every time. Here’s why – and how to get your fix.
1. The ancient Romans are believed to have used seaweeds to treat wounds, burns and rashes. Today, they’re understood to play a key role in the longevity of the Japanese population.
2. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Victoria Beckham and Miranda Kerr are all reported to be fans of the single-celled, freshwater green algae, Chlorella that was discovered by a microbiologist in 1890. Rich in iron, folic acid and energy-boosting B vitamins, its chlorophyll content also makes it an excellent complete protein and helps boost liver detoxification. Stir some powdered Chlorella into water - adding a generous squeeze of lemon to take the edge off the somewhat strange taste – to kick start your day.
3. According to Japanese tradition, the long dark strands of Hijiki seaweed in many ways resemble the strong, shiny hair that Asian women are famous for. Rich in calcium, iron and magnesium, it’s often believed that this particular variety of seaweed can help build longer, stronger locks.
4. Astronauts also love seaweed. Being so nutrient-dense yet available in dry form, it makes the ideal space snack. So much so, that when in 2013, NASA commissioned Michelin-starred chef, Alain Ducasse to create dishes for its intrepid other-worldly voyagers, organic quinoa with seaweed made its way onto the menu – and beyond the Earth’s atmosphere.
5. Get creative to up your intake…While sushi is an obvious way to get your fix, we always have a stash of Itsu’s Seaweed Thins in our handbags for a quick snack. You can also add seaweed to your morning eggs, or pop it into broths, soups and stir-fries.
Check out our seaweed products suggestions to discover the power of this magical ingredient: